United Kingdom, 15th February 2021 – Johnson & Johnson Vision1 today announced CE Mark of its latest multifocal contact lens, ACUVUE® OASYS MULTIFOCAL with PUPIL OPTIMISED DESIGN for Europe. The lens, also approved in the US by the FDA in 2020, is the latest innovation for the Johnson & Johnson Vision multifocal contact lens portfolio for patients with presbyopia.
ACUVUE® OASYS MULTIFOCAL contact lens with PUPIL OPTIMISED DESIGN expands the ACUVUE® OASYS portfolio of products, which is unbeaten in comfort across 25 clinical trials*2,3,4. The new reusable lens includes the same PUPIL OPTIMISED DESIGN technology currently available in 1-DAY ACUVUE MOIST MULTIFOCAL and follows the same fit process.
Now available in both reusable and daily disposable modalities, PUPIL OPTIMISED DESIGN provides built-in personalisation for better visual performance**5.
ACUVUE® OASYS MULTIFOCAL: 97.3% successful fit in 2 pairs of lenses or less***6.
Globally 1.9 billion people have presbyopia, with vision deterioration starting in patients from their mid-40’s7. In addition to affecting the eyes’ ability to focus on nearby objects, symptoms can include blurry vision in low light, headaches, eye fatigue and eye strain after reading.
“Although there are 50 million presbyopia patients over the age of 45 across the EMEA region who are open to wearing contact lenses, fewer than 10% of this group are currently wearing a multifocal contact lens to correct the condition,8,9” said Sandra Rasche, Area Vice President, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Vision Care, Johnson & Johnson Medical GmbH, “The ACUVUE® OASYS MULTIFOCAL with PUPIL OPTIMISED DESIGN will offer an exciting solution for these patients, using a blend of technologies for better comfort and clearer vision at all distances**5.”
ACUVUE® OASYS MULTIFOCAL with PUPIL OPTIMISED DESIGN will launch across Europe in 2021.
*The following ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses have substantiated unbeaten in comfort claim: ACUVUE® OASYS Brand Family (including daily disposable), 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST Brand Family (within the category of hydrogel daily disposable), and ACUVUE® VITA Brand spherical only(1)(2)(3).
**Compared to prior JJV multifocal design; technology optimized for both the parameters of refractive error and add power for a multitude of viewing distances and light levels.
***Four total lenses
1. © Johnson & Johnson Vision Care (Ireland) T/A Vision Care Ireland RSC
2. JJV Data on File 2020. ACUVUE® PUPIL OPTIMISED DESIGN TECHNOLOGY: JJVC Contact Lenses, Design Features, and Associated Benefits.
3. JJV Data on File 2017. Optical Precision of ACUVUE® OASYS Brand 1-Day Contact Lenses with HydraLuxe Technology.
4. Cheng X, Moody K, Xu J, Lesmes L, Hofmann G, Maggio T, Johnson B. Visual Performance of Silicone Hydrogel Daily Disposable Contact Lenses. BCLA 2017 poster.
5. JJV Data on File 2020. ACUVUE® PUPIL OPTIMISED DESIGN TECHNOLOGY: JJVC Contact Lenses, Design Features, and Associated Benefits.
6. JJV Data on File 2020. ACUVUE OASYS MULTIFOCAL Fit and Performance Claims
7. American Academy of Ophthalmology, “Global prevalence of presbyopia and vision impairment from uncorrected presbyopia,” (2018). https://www.aaojournal.org/article/S0161-6420(17)33797-1/pdf
8. Growth levers and Internal analysis using Independent 3rd Party Data from EMA markets including Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, France, Spain, Turkey, Poland, UK
9. JJV Data on File 2018. Growth Levers analysis based on IPSOS Global Incidence Tracker, retail outlet consumption data and national census population data covering the United States, United Kingdom, Russia, Japan, South Korea, and China.